Monday, August 17, 2009

First Post

Hello! My name is Mallory Cooper Burke. I recently graduated from Faulkner State Community College and this is my first semester here at the University of South Alabama. I am majoring in Elementary Education and I am very excited about becoming a teacher. I have known that I wanted to be a teacher since I was a child. My great grandmother was an elementary school teacher and my family says that I am just like her, so I think that it is neat that I am following in her footsteps. I love to help people in any way I can, so I think that I am definitely entering the right field, since helping a child learn is one of the best ways to do that.
I have been very happily married since June twenty-eighth, 2008 to Eric Burke. He is very supportive of me and helps me with my education as much as he can. I feel very fortunate to have a husband who does not mind helping with the dishes or cooking supper so that I can do my homework. I am going to school full time and have a part time job. He works full time for Orange Beach Water Authority and is taking two night classes per week from Faulkner's Gulf Shores campus. We are both members of the Volunteer Fire Department in our community and are very active in our church. We have very busy schedules, but somehow we get it all done.
I hope to graduate from South and find a job, which may prove to be a challenge with all of the cutbacks regarding education, but I trust that God will help me find a job. I want to teach for a few years and then have children. I will take a few years off from teaching to raise them, and then go back to teaching when the last one starts kindergarten. I hope to become one of those teachers that really impacts my students so that they will always remember my class and how much fun they had learning. I feel that it is important to have fun while learning or else it can become something to be dreaded. I look forward to this class, although it will probably be a challenge for me, because I think that it will help me tremendously in my career as an elementary school teacher.

7 comments:

  1. Congrats on the marriage! I am excited about being a teacher myself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good blog! I feel the same about wanting to be a teacher who impacts my students! I still remember my second grade teacher to this day! I too have wanted to be a teacher since I was a child! Goodluck this semester and with your teaching career.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's great that you have a husband that is supportive and willing to help you out while you are in school.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really enjoyed reading your blog. I thinks it is nice you are following in your granmother's foot steps.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i enjoyed reading your blog. i know how you feel about following in your grandmother's footsteps. im following my mother's and grandmother's.

    ReplyDelete